Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day weekend rides

Long 3 day weekend and perfect weather made for a couple of good rides this weekend. I forgot my camera both times though.

Saturday I checked out White Ranch Open Space just outside of Golden. I'd been out there once before- about 7 years ago, not long after moving to Boulder. I was then just getting into actual mountains on my mountain bike, and we amateurs were discouraged by the loose, rocky initial climb up the the trail network. So I was determined (and confident) to get the best of it this time around. The climb was fine, although the trails are overused and poorly laid out amongst the terrain. Not bad for being so close to the city, but that's just the problem. Still, 3hrs on the mountain bike is no reason to complain.

Sunday was a road bike day, and it turned epic. Denver > Golden Gate Canyon > Peak to Peak Highway > Coal Creek Canyon > Denver. Perfect weather, long 17mi climb up to 9200ft on the P-to-P, great views, clear air, some more climbing on Coal Creek, and back home in time for dinner. Totals: 88mi, 7000 vertical ft of climbing in under 7hrs. Nice!

The extremely gusty winds came in Monday morning- couldn't have planned a better rest day!

No comments:

Post a Comment