Monday, September 3, 2012

Last stop: Berlin [9/1-9/3]

Florian, one of my hostel bunkmates in Prague, suggested a particular hostel in Berlin; he was also en route (via hitch hiking) to the city and would be there around the same time as I would. So I took his suggestion- turns out they were waiting for me...
The Odyssee Hostel
As with most city stops, I had no particular agenda here but did some wandering around each day. With only a couple of days left before returning home, I was feeling a little mopey and more reflective than explorative. Having been effectively leveled during the massive Allied bombing campaigns, it's a much newer and more sprawling city than most others I visited in Europe. As such, it was the gritty street art and Cold War relics that were the most interesting aspects of milling around.
The Berlin Wall
some random unmarked building
gutted commie apartments on the old East side

And eventually it was time to head to the airport. I'd be flying back to Iceland for one final night, then from Iceland to Denver the next afternoon. I'd have been happy to keep up life on the road for a while longer, and had seriously considered extending my trip by a few weeks. But in the end practical life considerations won the debate and I elected to return home as planned. Bummer....

No comments:

Post a Comment