Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday evening half-marathon run

The weather forecast killed my challenge to see how many consecutive century ride weekends I could string together, so I decided to do a long run on Friday instead. I started out aiming for 10mi (I normally do a ~6mi tempo run) but once I got going, figured "what the heck, let's just do a half marathon." And so I pressed on.

I've never been much of a runner, never participated in the Track & Field or Cross Country teams in high school and generally regarded running as slow, boring and hard. Until last year, when I decided I ought to incorporate running into my workout routine as a form of cross training. I also wanted to do some impact exercise, as cyclists are at risk of developing bone density problems later in life because our bones have it so easy on smooth spinning bikes all the time. So I started running once a week and found that I actually enjoy the time a lot- it's a great cardio workout, a nice time to devote to listening to music and my thoughts and the chill redundancy provides a very relaxing yet taxing platform to settle into. I'm still no star runner, but have improved a lot and value my weekly runs on the South Platte River bike path.

I wouldn't have guessed I could've ever run over 13mi in one session, but kept going until I'd done it. I was tired by the end, my calves and feet hurt and my legs were exhausted. I felt great! Not a bad way to spend a few hours after work on a Friday night, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment