Wednesday, January 25, 2012

back to the gym routine

Before I broke my elbow I was working out at the Denver Rec Center city gym 3-5 days a week. During my recovery process I tried to keep going at least a little, but then I got busy with the City O City construction project, my membership expired, and I took a voluntary period of laziness. It was nice to be lazy, to come straight home from work for a full evening of relaxing and making a leisurely dinner.

But I got sick of being lazy, so I've been back at the gym again for the past few weeks. It feels great to be doing some healthy training after work each day. On the one hand, it's depressing to see where I'm at in my physical condition and strength now versus where I was at before my elbow. On the other hand, after just a few weeks, I'm seeing a lot of progress each day and know I'll be back to my old levels soon enough. And eventually will surpass that too!

A typical week looks something like this:
Monday:  rest day (from my weekend excursions)
Tuesday: weight lifting, 2 to 2.5 hours. (full body weight regimen, mostly freeweights and core strength)
Wednesday: swimming, 36-44 laps (~1mi) of freestyle and a few 'rest' laps of backstroke when I need a breather
Thursday: running, ~5.5miles on the S. Platte River bike path
Friday: circuit strength workout, ~1hr high intensity program of "CrossFit" style strength/cardio routine
Sat / Sun: a good day of adventure and training in the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment