Monday, June 25, 2012

About-face! [Vik > Landeyjasandur -- 63mi ]

As I rolled out from my secluded free campsite, boy was I glad I'd pedaled late into the night yesterday since the wind had taken a vicious turn directly into my face for the whole day. I was literally struggling to go 1/3rd the pace I'd been rallying last night, and was not happy about it. But on you go, one pedal stroke at a time... It took over an hour to make the measly 9mi into the village of Vik, the southern-most town on the mainland.
Vik, w/ Reynisdrangar rock columns erecting from the sea
After more struggle against the relentless wind exacerbating the soreness in my knees, I made my way past the popular Skogafoss waterfall. Hungry and tired, I eeked out a smile at least:
Skogafoss
 Along the way I found a preserved little shed; these used to be common along the way before the days of reliable transportation and road conditions. They were used to store milk for the milk wagons, and for people to seek shelter while waiting for their rides. They were frequent until the mid 1960's:
I also passed by the now infamous Eyjafjallajokull glacier and volcano- this is the one who's eruption in April 2010 disrupted European and trans-Atlantic airline travel for weeks. Although shrouded in clouds today, there was a cool photo from the day the eruption began:
Eyjafjallajokull
Later in the evening the wind finally began to quiet down and I made it near the harbor of Landeyjasandur for a free camp, in good position to board the ferry boat in the morning and head down to the Vestmannaeyjar Islands for a couple of days of R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment