Thursday, June 7, 2012

Finally... off to Iceland!!!

 After a very hectic few weeks of preparing to leave the country for three months (purging a majority of non-essential belongings, sorting & storing the stuff I'm keeping, moving out of my apartment and packing for a 3mo bike tour) I'm finally here in Iceland. Scrambling down to the last minute before my departure, the trek overseas has been a smooth one. 


Not exactly what you expect to see when boarding an airliner:
"Welcome to Iceland Air, where we tell you you're going to hell!"
The flight was smooth... I was so exhausted from the past few weeks that I fell asleep before we even took off. When I woke up later I thought we were still on the ground, but discovered we were at full cruising altitude. Iceland Air gets an A+ in my book for this flight: the ticket agent didn't charge me the standard $40 surcharge for my bike box, and they delivered it and my 2 panniers in good condition! Not to mention 100+ free movies to choose from and the flight attendants wear cute 1960's era hats :)


I landed in at the Keflavik International Airport (about 55km from Reykjavik) at 6:30am local time and got my bike & luggage in short order. Next was a phone call to the Alex Campground, who showed up to drive me and my bike to their facilities about 5min away. A major perk of this campground is their offer to store (for free!) my empty bike box during my tour. I'll pick it up when I stay with them on my final night here.
Alex Campground airport shuttle service
I spent the morning assembling my bike (luckily it arrived unhurt except for a broken speedometer mounting bracket- damn you, TSA) and reorganizing my gear. I've been pedaling around the old shipping/fishing town of Keflavik this afternoon, procuring a few supplies and admiring the scenery. Tomorrow I'm off to Reykjavik for a couple days before heading north to begin my circumnavigation of the island. On July 5 I fly to Paris, so the clock's a tickin!


Everyone here has been great- the Icelandic folks seem fairly reserved but very friendly and they transition instantly into fluent English. Most signs also have either English or a picture, so language hasn't been an issue. Yet. The weather's cool, cloudy and breezy with an occasional drops of rain... but its pleasant and about what I expected. Mountains in the distance, rolling plains to the east... feels a lot like Colorado minus the blazing sun.

3 comments:

  1. Elliot, nice to get a note from you directing me to your blog. I am jealous of your bike tour and free time! Rad idea of a destination. Look out for volcanoes, they erupt without notice!

    ride fast and take risks, safety second or maybe third.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are incredible! The landscape is so different from anywhere I've seen. You're definitely inspiring me to put iceland on my list of places to travel!

    ReplyDelete