Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Surgery day.... finally!

Feeling good and a little faded after surgery today. Everything went smoothly from what I could tell; on time and no hassles, which was a relief. In the pre-op room, I finally got to meet with Dr. Gladu, my surgeon, for the first time. He's an avid skier and mountain biker so we had a lot to talk about and he understood my eagerness to get back on the bike. (To which he said, "If you fall again soon, you'll pull out all the hardware I'm about to put in." Well, I suppose I'll just have to use extra caution in the near future.) He expects the fracture to heal fully in 6-8 weeks and a while longer to recover my full range-of-motion and strength. That's a little sooner than I expected and very exciting to hear his confident prognosis.
in the pre-op bed
Exactly an hour after I walked into the operating room and laid down on the table, I was waking up in the post-op area dazed from the anesthesia but feeling alright. Amazing how quickly they can get this done! They turned me loose a couple hours later, but I learned that hospital policy will not allow you be discharged unless you climb into an automobile. We'd walked from home and our friend wouldn't be able to get there for another hour in his car. So we hailed a taxicab, got in and drove two blocks away from the hospital, then got and walked the rest of the way home!

I go back on Monday, June 27th (12 days) for my first follow up and to get the splint unwrapped. Til then, can't get it wet in the shower or bend my elbow at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment