Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday elbow update: 16 days post-op

The week has gone pretty well- seeing a tiny bit of improvement in range of motion and strength each day, and able to do little things with slightly more ease. Surpassing the doctor's expectations, I found I could do unassisted bending and twisting motions with my arm within a day of having the splint removed. Still far from normal but happy to see early progress.

I worked full days on the bike for the remainder of the week with no issues... kept it in the splint for protection but abandoned the sling after a couple of days. The added mobility without it helped and I found I didn't need the extra support. Back to doing our long distance loops to Cherry Creek as of Friday; a little uncomfortable riding for longer stretches without stopping, but made it out and back twice in a row to cover for an ill coworker. (I owe my coworkers a big thanks for covering for me during this ordeal and always letting me take the easier work when I needed to.)

I went to the gym for the first time (post injury) on Tuesday and did some weightlifting with legs, abs, lower back and core muscles. It was nice to be back there again and seeing the familiar, positive faces I've come to know since I started going last fall. Thursday I did another run, this time 6 miles without the sling. Lost my edge (did I ever have one??) on running and cardio, but again it felt great to get a nice workout. Running doesn't hurt my arm at all, although it makes for an awkward stride since I can't swing both arms uniformly.

Looking forward to the long holiday weekend... no big plans, but I always appreciate an excuse to get together with friends and make some tasty food!

No comments:

Post a Comment