Sunday, July 24, 2011

Viva le Cadel "Elbow" Evans

I'm not much of a professional sports fan, not even cycling for the most part. However, like a casual football spectator who only gets excited for the Superbowl, I can't help turning into a geek about the Tour de France each year recently. Last year we actually had cable TV for a few months so I was able to watch the daily coverage and really got into it. Half of why I like watching it is the fantastic scenery and historical gems in old Europe. Each time I see the Tour, I start making plans to spend next summer on my own bike tour of Europe. One of these years it will work out.... whenever it becomes practical to leave the country for 6 or so months.

Last year, I became a huge fan of Australian racer Cadel Evans, who fell and suffered a hairline fracture of his elbow in the 8th Stage while also taking the yellow leader's jersey the same day. Miraculously, although he didn't come close to winning in the end, he still finished the remaining 2 weeks of racing with a broken elbow.

http://www.sikids.com/photos/26226/2011-tour-de-france-contenders/6
He was back in full force this year, all healed up, and in the end took the overall win at the Tour de France. What a comeback! Watching the Tour this year online was extra entertaining since I've been sidelined with my own recovery, and I had my elbow comrad to cheer for all the way through. He also just announced that he'll be racing in Colorado's USA Pro Challenge in a couple of weeks. I'll be rooting for him again... maybe he will autograph my scar?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment