Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Swimming laps

I was taught swim lessons at an early age, but had never been much for swimming. I hate cold (or cool or even lukewarm) water. But back in November when I started going to the gym, I took up swimming 2-3 times per week for cardio/aerobic and upper body endurance. It was soooo hard! At first I could only swim 100yds without a) taking a break, and b) feeling like I was drowning. I stuck with it, got better and could eventually swim a mile (1800yds) without a break. Then I learned to alternate breathing (taking a breath every 3 strokes, instead of every 2) which was another big aerobic challenge.

I still hated the cold water, and this pool is kept at a toasty 82 degrees!

Today was the first time I've swam since my injury and it was a treat to be back in the water (helps that it's been well over 90degrees every day for a few weeks.) Swimming at this stage of recovery is not necessarily easy, although it feels like great physical therapy. Definitely some pain in the elbow all the while from the force of pushing the water and then extending my arm forward, but (I hope?) a productive type of pain. I swam 900yds freestyle today, at a slow pace with breaks, but got a good workout for my heart and lungs as well as my elbow and shoulders/back. Very glad to find I was able to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment