Monday, August 13, 2012

Into the heart of the Dolomites: Passos Cereda, S. Antonio, Duran, Cibiana, del Zovo, and Kruetzberpass; 8/12-8/13 - 97mi, +12,681ft]

A series of one passo after another these past two days... each one just as steep and grueling as the last. And each descent just a scary fast and super fun. The low clouds are still mucking up most of my good photo ops, as well as frustrating my greedy eyes eager to take in the soaring peaks. But you can't have it your way every time, so I catch glimpses when I can and appreciate being in the mountains all the same. And every now and then I go down a really steep winding hill really really fast.

Lots of cool villages perched up in the high terrain too. This area has pretty much turned into Austria with regards to the architecture, language and people. I need to give myself a history lesson to be sure but I think this actually was part of Austria prior to the first World War. I stand corrected if I'm wrong (which wouldn't surprise me one bit- rigorous research is not my forte.)

I have no idea what this sign says, but I love it!

I forgot to mention the amazing coffee in Italy... the best ever, and usually pretty cheap (one euro or so.) The most brilliant idea I've ever seen is the way they serve an Americano (espresso plus hot water.) In the US the barista mixes the two themselves, and you're at their mercy for the proportions. In Italy, they serve you an espresso and a tiny pitcher of hot water. Brilliant!

Despite my groans about the clouds, I'm not without some really swell vistas on occasion:


happy boy in the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment